What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a condition in which the glucose levels in the blood will be high over a prolonged period of time. Blood sugar levels are controlled by a hormone called insulin. With diabetes, your body doesn't make enough insulin or can't use it as well as it should.
How can diabetes can be managed?
Diabetes can be managed with healthy lifestyle along with good food choices, regular exercise, oral medications or with direct infusions insulin dosage.
What health complications does it cause?
Uncontrolled or prolonged diabetes can cause further health issues:
- 1. High blood pressure
- 2. Stroke
- 3. Kidney disease
- 4. Foot problems
- 5. Eye & retina issues
How can I prevent my diabetes through diet?
- Choose whole grains and whole grain products over refined grains and other highly processed carbohydrates.
- Avoid the extra sugar and sugary drinks.
- Eat healthy fats to promote healthy blood cholesterol levels.
- Limit red meat and avoid processed meat; choose nuts, beans, whole grains, poultry, or fish instead.
How can I manage my diabetes better?
Following are the factors which you can focus on:
- Keep close watch on your blood sugar level.
- Make your meal well-balanced and plan your meal prior.
- Understand about carbohydrate counting and insulin dose.
- Keep an exercise schedule.
- Stay hydrated
- Adjust your diabetes treatment plan as needed.